Make your home more comfortable while reducing your home’s energy use.
Foundation wall openings can be a chief culprit when it comes to your home losing energy. Doors, hatches, vents, and other openings may be poorly sealed or lack sufficient weatherstripping. But with proper upgrades, you can fill those gaps and save more energy.
Tools and Materials:
- Utility knife
- Secure cutting surface
- Measuring tape
- Straight edge
- Various forms of weatherstripping
- Fasteners—small screw or nails to attach weatherstripping and door weatherseals
- Window putty and glazier’s points
- Shrink-wrap window insulating kit
- Dust mask/respirator
- Safety glasses
- Inspect your basement and crawlspace to identify how (or even if) it is conditioned.
- Identify passthroughs and penetrations where improper sealing may cause energy loss. Once you’ve identified them, search for gaps or openings and fill them appropriately to prevent air leakage.